Saturday 20 October 2012

Jerusalem, the Biography.



My favourite quote is at the beginning of this book.
   
The city has been destroyed , rebuilt, destroyed and rebuilt again. Jerusalem is an old nymphomanic who squeezes lover after lover to death, before shrugging him off her with a yawn.  A black widow who devours her mates while they are still penetrating her.
Amos Oz.  A Tale of Love and Darkness

Wow,right!! I'm as prepared as I'll ever be now for my trip to Jerusalem!  I read this book a year or two ago but I've reread it and enjoyed it even more this time.  This book is IMMENSE.Over 3000 years of history in one book is a challenge!  Respect to Simon Montefiore for even attempting such a task, being balanced and neutral  and also an amusing narrator.
 I didn't find it scholarly , just a good , yet violent read about a city populated by many mad men down the ages. The characters are what makes this book so interesting and their lusts for religious, political and earthly powers.

What I love about  Jerusalem is its ability to rebuild itself again and again out of the ashes under different leaderships. Jews, Babylonians, Greek, Persian, Romans, Christians, Pagans, Muslims, Crusaders,  Turks, French, Russians, Germans, British, Arabs, Zionists, Americans...they've all played their part and left their mark. The passions this city arouses are truly astounding!
It's crazy to think that just in 1918 Jerusalem was yet again  in squalor with only 50 ,000 inhabitants,many suffering from malaria and venereal disease. But this city is like a Phoenix and keeps on rising again and again.

What a city , what a history. I am both excited and apprehensive about what awaits  me in Jerusalem's  modern, deeply divided incarnation.





                                                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment