Wednesday 23 October 2013

Out of It


really wanted to like this book.  It's not often that I find a novel which is based in Gaza. It looked good and had great reviews but unfortunately I was greatly disappointed. I was looking forward to reading a book which would transport me to a different and harsh reality in one of the most politically,  economically   and physically isolated cities on the planet.
It doesn't matter how much you are interested in a place you still need a story to hold you,  writing that grips you and characters you can believe in.  Unfortunately I got none of the above from this book!
This book only managed to annoy and irritate me. The characters were so weakly described I couldn't really give a damn about what happened to them.  In fact the last 30% of the book was a quick flip through, I was so bored I just couldn't be bothered to read it properly. Hence I can't really review what happened because there wasn't a story! 
A shame really, I just felt this book didn't describe or explain anything successfully. It was devoid of any emotion and people were flat as pancakes.  I was annoyed that the horrors of life in Gaza was having no affect on me. Normally when I read a novel based in a particular place I get transported to the time and inspired and interested in the history and politics, but not with this bilge.
  Nah...not for me!
 This book proves to me that if I want to find out anything about Gaza city I just have to go there...what do you reckon to my chances?!

No comments:

Post a Comment