Saturday 18 January 2014

The Ice Princess


I haven't read crime fiction for ages but I do like a bit of Nordic murder so I thought I would give this a go.  I enjoyed it and have spent my last few weeks on the train reading it, but I also know I will quickly forget it.  It wasn't too taxing but I still didn't manage to work out who the murderer was. I really thought I was on the right track, but I wasn't!  
 There were lots of sentences about making coffee, adding sugar and stirring it. Infact the whole book seemed to have a coffee making fetish.  Weird!  Maybe the Swedes are all just fanatic caffeine addicts.
I enjoyed trying to puzzle out who did the dirty murder but I also like a twisted, strange, eccentric, mad, alcoholic, depressed and autistic sleuth to solve it, but the main policeman and his lovely girlfriend were just too normal and boring for me.  The only thing they liked doing was making and drinking coffee together.  
This book is the first in a series of 8 or so. So maybe the characters will develop over time but I don't think I will read another one yet. 
 In fact yes, this book was OK, but just a little bit bland.  If it were ever to be televised it would be on ITV 3 on a week day!  

2 comments:

  1. I agree. If you miss Nordic crime fiction one day, try Jo Nesbo. In my opinion much better.especially the last one - "Police". Televised-Sturday evening:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I have heard that Jo Nesbo is really violent. I really didn't enjoy reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series and I have heard that Jo Nesbo is even more violent than Stieg Larson. But if I fancy any more Scandi crime novels I will give Nesbo a go!

    ReplyDelete