Friday 16 January 2015

The Steep Approach to Garbadale

I really enjoyed an Iain Banks book at the beginning of 2014 so I thought I would do the same this year. All I can say is this book could have been so brilliant and the start was amazing!   The main character, Alban, was a sexy dude and the story had potential. But unfortunately Banks couldn't keep up the momentum and apart from the odd few pages of brilliant writing this was a pretty average read.   it was a shame because it could have been so good  but I just think Iain Banks just run out of steam.
It seemed like Banks was using Alban, the main guy, as a mouth piece for his own political views and it all turned into a weird rant against America and capatalism. the sort of sound bites that would come out of the mouth of a 17 year old student. Stuff that seemed a bit out of place and disjointed in a novel.
The first half was really good and pretty funny but it just didn't keep up the momentum and I really feel like I've wasted my precious time reading it to the end. I feel a bit disappointed. It is as if a gremlin author came along and sabotaged the second half of the book.  I had to carry on reading because I just believed that it would get better but it never really did. Oh well.  I won't waste any more time writing about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment