Friday 20 May 2016

The Girl Who Played With Fire


I read the girl with the dragon tattoo years ago and suddenly realised I had never read the sequels so suddenly last week I decided to finish the trilogy.  OK These books are now DATED.  Reading this seemed so old fashioned because, ironically,  at the time, Stieg Larson was trying to be so trendy. but even so it was a fun read.   I love Lisbeth Salander and I'm sure she must have been an inspiration for my all time favourite Scandinavian sleuth, Saga Noren. ( Danish autistic super cop from the Bridge on BBC 4) 
This is not great literature in any way.  Infact lots of this book is extremely dull but then suddenly out of the blue, every 40 pages or so, something really bonkers exciting happens and about 7 new characters hit the page and lots of death and/or sadistic behaviour happens. The story line is ridiculous, the characters are mostly straight out of a James Bond  movie but  Stieg Larsonn had a lot of time for Lisbeth Salander and every page she is on she shines out as a beacon of a young, feisty woman fighting against the system. She has anger, balls, and intelligence but she is is so, so, so vulnerable.  Her story is even more poignant as I think about the abuse which in reality many young vulnerable women have to deal with. This book is not outrageously violent.  Infact it's pretty damn BORING lots of the time but you're still weirdly hooked as you happily read about everyone just sitting about drinking about 100 coffees a day.   Another thing I didnt understand is why Lisbeth Salander had a boob job in South America in the first few chapters, it just seemed totally unnecessary. But the ending is a total hook for book 3.  I feel like I have to read it now.but I'll hold off for a bit, if I CAN!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment