Friday 6 July 2012

The Pickwick Papers


The Pickwick Papers is like Sausage and Mash or Jacket Potatoes  to me, comfort food in book form.  I've been dipping in and out of it and I love it still. It was Dicken's first novel and was initially serialised in pamphlets over 18 months. Because it's like the first soap opera ever written it's easy to just pick up where you left off.  When you are feeling low  the mad characters, ridiculous story lines,slap stick humour and the miles of charging around the country by horse and carriage ending with copious amounts of drinking and story telling in taverns will soon sort you out.
It's definitely Dicken's most upbeat book (especially the first half.) There is hardly any plot but whenever Mr.Pickwick or his gang of traveller mates get into trouble you always know that Sam Weller will be there to sort things out...Sam Weller is my Hero, if only I could find a guy like him these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment