Sunday 13 September 2015

The House of Silk


A Sherlock Holmes pistache of which I wasn't expecting much and wow,  I was really surprised.  I loved this book.  I enjoyed reading it a lot and my bus journeys last week were a dream as I read through all the traffic disruption quite happily!
Horowitz did a great job keeping in the spirit of Conan Doyle but also updating the story for the 21st century reader.  The plot was great,a bit slow at the beginning but then it took off and I was hooked.  Everything was in this including murder, disguise, abuse, drugs, corruption, poisoning, and an escape from a locked room.  I never guessed the solution to anything and every twist and turn was a total surprise for me.  yes, it was a great read and I suddenly have realised how much I love mysteries and murders.  This book was not violent at all but the implied violence was there and to be honest that is all you need sometimes.  Plus the research into Victorian London was brilliant.  Horowitz took the reader into much seedier and sordid places than were common in the original books. (Dr. Watson wrote this book from his retirement home.  He was recording a case after Holmes death, a case which was too sensitive to publish in his lifetime.)  It was a great story and to be honest I'm a bit sad I read it so quickly. I wont give anything away but if you are a fan of Holmes then this book is for you. My only problem is I couldn't get the face of Benedict Cumberbatch  out of my head as I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment