Saturday 5 September 2015

The Snowman


I picked up this book rather tentatively because I wasn't a great Stieg Larson fan. ( the yellow sticker on the book, didn't work for me at all) But I'm glad I did because the only thing they have in common is that both authors are Scandinavian.
I loved the tension in this book and all the false leads and threads. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would! Nesbo has a quirky humour in this book too. I also totally fell for the troubled inspector, Harry Hole, what a great character! I loved his demons and the complicated relationship he had with the one woman he loved.  I also enjoyed reading about his relationship with alcohol. All very informative, getting inside the mind of an alcoholic!
Yes, this book was creepy, gruesome and scary but always a great read and nothing was gratuitous ( my biggest issue with Girl with a Dragon Tattoo series.) Infact the story was great and I was totally hooked. The imagery of the snowman and the implement of choice used by the psycho killer was brilliant. I even enjoyed the terror of reading this late at night under my bed covers! Yes, I enjoyed freaking myself out. But to be honest I've read far worse stomach churning novels. But I'll never look at a Snowman in the same light again! Most of all it was a fast paced thriller, which was also translated really well. Often books in translation have a really clunky style, but this didn't! Well done Don Bartlett. 
Today I've already been round the charity shops in Bicester and bought a few other Nesbos! gonna keep them for later when I need a fix of Harry Hole and an adrenaline rush of fear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment